Friday, April 28, 2006

10 years of Rent

This Saturday marks the 10th anniversary of the original Broadway production of Jonathan Larson’s hit musical Rent. On Monday night, the original cast reunited once again on the stage of the Nederlander Theater to perform the show that launched many of their careers. The event was a benefit for three special organizations: the New York Theater Workshop (the theater where Rent was staged before it made the move to Broadway), Friends in Deed (a support organization for those dealing with life-threatening illnesses) and the Jonathan Larson Performing Arts Foundation.

I first saw Rent in January of 2000, here at TBPAC. I was a senior in high school and really didn’t know much about the story going in. I left with the songs in my head and a passion for the show. It was so much different than anything else I had ever seen.



I couldn’t deny for long that I had become a “Renthead.” That’s what they call those of us who are die-hard fans. Over the past six years I’ve seen the show 25 times in six different cities. I’ve camped out on sidewalks, sometimes for as long as 24 hours, just to get front row tickets. Along the way, I’ve met some amazing people from all over the country. Those friendships have made it all worth it. Rent has become more than just a show to me. It’s an experience.

Rent is now the seventh longest running show in Broadway history and with the recent release of the movie, I imagine it will stick around for some time to come.

- Tara M.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the show, too, Tara. My best friend introduced me to the show. I've only seen it once, but bought the DVD and she and I already have a date to see it when it is at TBPAC in September. I am a borderline "Renthead" and have a Rent ringtone on my cell phone.
-- LeeAnn D.