Tuesday, August 22, 2006

TBPAC: When you're wrong ...

We all make friendly wagers around here sometimes in the marketing department as to how a show will perform. Most of the time we're pretty on the mark (feels good to know we know our business), but there are those times when we get nailed hard - for better or for worse.

Most recently, we booked a little show called So You Think You Can Dance. It's based on a TV show I've never even heard of, and I saw a ticket price of around $50. A few of us balked, saying no way was that going to fly. Then we heard rumors there may even be two performances if sales warranted it.

"You have to be kidding," I thought. We've seen other TV shows with decent appeal not do well, or pull out before they even made it near Tampa (See: Nashville Star).

Well, two sold out shows later and I am just wrong, wrong, wrong. It doesn't happen often, but I suppose I'm completely out of touch on this one. I guess that's what I get for not watching much network TV. If it would have been 24: The Musical, I would've known ...

- David J.

No comments: