Thursday, February 02, 2006

Get well soon

The young woman sat in Maestro's Restaurant, sipping a glass of wine.

She mentioned how excited she was about seeing Wednesday night's performance of WICKED. The Wizard of Oz is her favorite movie. Her dog is named after one of the movie characters. She has the soundtrack and a keychain from the show.

And now she was an hour from seeing the touring Broadway blockbuster live.

She seemed happy.

"I bought one ticket for little old me," she said. "I found out I was sick and I figured I could say, 'well, at least I saw this ...' "

I didn't respond quickly enough (what do you say when a stranger tells you that?), and she left the restaurant to make her curtain time.

But I've been thinking about that conversation. We talk sometimes about how theater can show us different lives and take us away from who, and where, we are.

I really hope she had a WICKED time, and that she gets well soon.

-Michael K

No comments: