Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Show the love for the sweater!

When I was a kid we only had PBS and Saturday morning cartoons. No singing dinosaurs, Wiggles or Doras. Those were the good old days of Sesame Street, 3-2-1 Contact and of course Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.


I use to love singing along to his theme song "... I always wanted to have a neighbor like you so, let's make the most of this beautiful day, since we're together we might as well say..." well, you get the idea. There was the trolley that went to the Land of Make-Believe and of course you can't forget to feed the fish. Mr. Rogers loved music, loved the arts, loved to imagine and of course loved to teach kids.


So needless to say I was quite sad when we all learned of his death five years ago. I have the book "The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember." It sits on my bookshelf next to my copy of "It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider."


So what brought on my nostalgia? I just found that March 20 is "Sweater Day." If you know the show, you know that Mr. Rogers started each show by changing into his "play clothes"... a cardigan sweater and sneakers. March 20 would have been Mr. Rogers' 80 birthday so the Family Communications Inc. of Pittsburgh (the company Fred Rogers created to produce his show) has asked everyone to celebrate by wearing a sweater.


I know, we live in Florida, but come on... he's an icon. You can count on me to be sporting a Mr. Rogers' sweater.

And thanks for letting me take a walk down memory lane. :)

No comments: