Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Journey: back on top!

Well, sort of.

After Sunday night's controversial ending to The Sopranos (c'mon people, did you really expect a pretty little bow?) featuring Don't Stop Believin', it appears Journey's stock has really risen.

I'm a bit of a technorati junkie, as happens when you do a lot of blogging, and I notice today that Journey's Greatest Hits album has shot straight from the grave all the way up to the Top 8 most blogged about albums. Amazing.

And is it just me, or does that album art look more like an Earth, Wind & Fire cover?

Ahh, good old Journey. Sappy enough to have made mixed tapes from when I was in junior high (I may have even cried in the dark once or twice over some girl while listening to Open Arms, Faithfully or After the Fall. Don't act like you didn't.), and now just kitschy enough to actually admit a taste for that some could ignore as that whole musical-irony thing. I actually listened to several of my parents Journey records (them's the big black things with the tiny holes in the middle, kids) back in the day and had a Journey 8-track or two bequeathed to me by my parents who seem to have lasted with the 8-track phase for an even shorter time than the rest of the American public - which is saying something. (Other favorite 8-tracks: Blizzard of Ozz and Journey to the Center of the Earth)

I'm sure it won't last, but it's gotta be a good week for these guys. I mean, when was the last time they were on CNN?

If you were one of the many people tweaked (or even pleased) by the series' end, you can read my brief commentary on the show over here.

No comments: