Wednesday, November 22, 2006

My Christmas lunch

Just before the staff scatters for Thanksgiving preparations, we got an early jump start to our holiday spirits with the dress rehearsal of our annual Christmas Cabaret over lunch in our Jaeb theater. That's one of the advantages of working in a performing arts center; there's no shortage of entertainment.

In this year's production, the five cast members trace the history of Christmas through song, right up through more modern novelty numbers. Those are fun, but the most moving songs are "Mary, Did You Know" and "God Help the Outcasts," which I found out last year came from Disney's "The Hunchback of Notre Dame." Even on a third hearing, it made me cry (just like "Bring Him Home" from "Les Miz" and a number of movies whose names you won't pry from my fingers).

It's not all sad and poignant; those just the ones that most appeal to me. Go figure. There are plenty of happy songs and much more traditional songs, such as "The First Noel."

Anyway, the show officially opens Friday, right after Thanksgiving.

With this dose under my belt, and the annual Victorian Christmas Stroll at UT's Plant Museum opening next week, I'm in a good place for the holidays.

I hope you are, too. Enjoy your Thanksgiving. And may your holidays be merry and bright. -- Michael K/TBPAC

1 comment:

Sean Carter said...

Hope you have a wonderful show. Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!!